Black or dark brown hair is the most common hair color in the world, with 70% of the world’s population sporting black hair. About one in 20 Americans have naturally blond hair, with 3 in 4 American women opting to dye their hair blond. Mariah Carey’s known for her honey-blond hair, but just what color was her hair to begin with?
Mariah Carey’s natural hair color is ash brown with natural curls, too. Since rising to fame, Carey has chosen to dye her hair blond and style it straight instead of keeping her natural curls. But as the years have went on, she hasn’t been able to resist her curls, so she’s gone back to them.
Let’s take a look back on the evolution of Carey’s hair and learn more about who colors and styles this famous star’s hair.
Mariah Carey’s Hair Evolution
A study in 2008 found that 75% of American women dye their hair and 88% noted that their hair color had an effect on their confidence. Marilyn Divine, a hairdresser, revealed that those who choose not to dye their hair typically consider themselves as low maintenance or they don’t want to keep having their roots touched up.
In recent years, it has been found that 68% of women are unsatisfied with their hair.
This doesn’t seem to be the case for Carey.
Although she has tried out different hairstyles over the years, mostly sporting the sleek straight style, she said that if she was given the option to do her own hair then she wouldn’t straighten it. Carey loves her curls! Or maybe it takes too long to straighten her curly locks?
Who’s Carey’s Hairstylist?
Carey’s hairstylist is Danielle Priano, a celebrity stylist who’s styled the hair of people like Jennifer Lopez Alessandra Ambrosio and Dua Lipa.
Who is Carey’s Hair Colorist?
Carey’s hair colorist is the one and only Kyle White who comes into contact with many A-list celebrities in his day to day life as their go-to hair colorist.
Kyle White’s Hair Tips
Caring for your hair doesn’t have to be complicated, especially not now that Carey’s hair colorist, White has compiled his list of tips for keeping your hair looking vibrant. Amongst these tips, he suggests that you should:
- Wear sunblock on your hair. Now I can’t say I’ve ever heard of this one, but White says you shouldn’t skip this step because the sun’s rays can fade your hair color if you’re out in it for prolonged periods of time.
- Use the right hair products. After coming out of the salon with freshly dyed hair, you must ensure you use the right products. Start with shampoo, buy low sulfate shampoo that’s formulated especially for color-treated hair.
- Avoid using metal hairbrushes. Metal brushes heat up while you’re blow-drying your hair, and this can cause tons of damage for your hair especially if it’s color-treated. Your hair is delicate, so White recommends using a natural bristle brush, that way you can be sure that you’re risking fewer breakages in your hair.
- Deep condition your hair. It’s important to care for your hair as you would your body, that’s why you should invest in a deep conditioner so your hair receives all the nutrients it needs.
- Use dry shampoo. Washing your hair too often after it has been colored runs the risk of you not only stripping natural and necessary oils from your hair but also the risk of fading your hair color, causing roots to come through faster than they should.